Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"leap" into sewing!

Here in Michigan, the weather is terrible. The windows on the east side of my house are covered with ice. The last few hours we have received snow, sleet, and rain. The roads are terrible. Schools are cancelled. So, I've designated today for sewing since I do not want to be out on the roads. What will I be making you ask? A zipper pouch. The other day at work a lady asked me to make her one. She currently has one that is designed by Coach and does not like it because it's not washable. Therefore, last night before the storm hit, I ran to Jo-Ann's and got the materials I needed. So, we'll see how it turns out! :)

Here is another project, I recently made.  

I haven't had much luck with making my own labels. So, I purchased some fabric markers to sign my projects for family and friends. I've tried the route of making my own and ironing them to fabric, but I think I need a new iron because if I do it for the recommended time it usually doesn't adhere correctly. If I leave it for a longer period of time, the glue seems to burn and turn yellowish.


As you can see above, I'm also having problems with thicker portions of fabric and keeping a straight stitch. I'm not sure if this is me or my old machine. So, I have been shopping for a newer machine with a better feed system. The one I have does embroidery and is probably 20 years old. I hardly use the embroidery portion of it (not sure why) and do not want to pay over $1500 for a newer machine. I would prefer to buy a newer USED machine. Anyone have any suggestions as to brand, quality, pricing, etc?

No comments: